|Organizations||United Nations Organizations (UNO)|
|Posting Title||POLITICAL AFFAIRS OFFICER, Temporary Job Opening, P3 (Temporary Job Opening)|
|Job Code Title||POLITICAL AFFAIRS OFFICER|
|Department/Office||Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs-Department of Peace Operations-Shared Structure|
|Duty Station||NEW YORK|
|Posting Period||03 January 2022 – 09 January 2022|
|Join Page Now|
Description UNO Political Affairs Officer Jobs In New York 2022
Applications are being invited in UNO Political Affairs Officer Jobs In New York 2022 And This position is located in the Eastern Europe Team of the Europe and Central Asia Division (ECAD) of the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations (DDPA-DPO) at Headquarters in New York. The incumbent will report to the Team Leader, under the overall guidance of the Director of the Division.
Duties & Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- He performs all the functions of the Desktop Officer in many Eastern European countries and regional organizations.
- It monitors and analyzes political developments and practices in the assigned area, and assesses the impact on the political situation and any implications for peace and security in the region.
- Provides up-to-date information to Team Leader, Director and senior officials on political and national or regional issues and makes recommendations on the steps to be taken.
- It provides political advice, early warning and conflict prevention to the Team Leader and Director in order to commend top UN officials about possible action by the United Nations.
- Prepares analytical reports and papers on sensitive and high-level issues of concern to senior UN officials; write books; prepares forums and reports to the General Assembly, Security Council, or other bodies as required; write social and media statements.
- It serves as a platform for the collection and analysis of information on the political issues of the profession.
- Backstops link office (s) in the allotted area, as required.
- Organizes and participates in strategic activities and exercise strategies with relevant partners, including regional partners.
- Maintains close liaison with UN offices and HQ offices and departments regarding policy liaison issues, including the framework for inter-departmental or inter-agency processes.
- It maintains regular consultation with representatives of the appropriate Comprehensive Equipment, governments, international and regional organizations, and notifies representatives accordingly.
- Promotes communication with independent professionals and participates in conferences, seminars and educational forums related to the assigned area of expertise.
- It performs essential functions as required related to the Team application, reversing policy and budget, and additional budget resources.
- Performs other related tasks as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related field.
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required
- Experience working on political affairs and dealing with regional peace and security issues is required.
- Experience in conducting political analysis, providing advice and preparing briefings for senior officials, is required.
- Experience working in or on Europe is desirable.
- Experience working in support of mediation and/or peacebuilding processes is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required
- This position is temporarily available until 13 Dec 2022. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
- While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
- Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
- This temporary job opening may be limited to “internal candidates,” who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
- Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply. Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.